Tuesday, August 4, 2009

About habits

Some posts ago I've posted a quote from Steve Covey where he pictures the correlation between thought, action, habit, character, and destiny.
I always admired people who have a set of good habits e.g. the colleague who is always happy, people who can find challenge and excitement in nearly every task, or the guy who is exercising every morning.
So where do all these good habits come from? Is there a magic source somewhere?
According to the knowledge of psychology habits are actions that have been trained repetitively and thus are carried out automatically.
From this it follows that you can create a new habit by doing an action often.

Well that is the theory and does that work in reality too? I'm trying to answer this question with a rather short experiment. I decided to workout every day at least for 15 minutes. Until now I stuck to that rule for more than two weeks. According to scientific studies the action will turn into a habit after 3 to 4 weeks. I'll inform you whether it worked or not.

Do you want to change a habit, create a new one?
You can find a brief how to at zenhabits.
If you really want to go into the topic read My Bad Habits written by Professor Ian Newby-Clark.