Thursday, February 4, 2010

The power of "thank you"


When I was a child I hated to write "thank you" cards. I guess I didn't like it because of the effort of doing so and because I didn't understand why to do so. Maybe I would have liked doing so if I understood how powerful a "thank you" can be.
First of all saying thank you means that there is something to be thankful for. Sometimes we forget that there is so much we should thank for. Last Wednesday I was quite irritated because our students thanked us for being their mentors in a university project. On the one hand that was one of the nicest gestures I ever experienced at university but on the other hand it might had been a strategy to boost the marks. In general I believe that most humans are good and thus I take the "thank you" for real.
Somehow this compliment made me think about all the things I am thankful for. Here is a summary of my personal list. I am thankful for:

  • my family and their support. Everyone in our family has a certain character. Thus it can be difficult from time to time but in general we stick together.
  • friends. What would we do without friends?
  • health. I guess sometimes I have to learn it the hard way but today I'm convinced that health is something to be thankful for.
  • the health system. Another point I learned to appreciate. Also our health system is considered to be gross it still works when needed.
  • education. It's still kind of free here and with some effort everyone can make something out of his/her live.
  • my job. Also strategical issues sometimes make me wonder, I like what I do at work.
  • my garden. I love to see how the plants develop even if I forget to care for them. Nature is quite robust.
  • you reading my blog ;).
I could fill in more but I don't want to blow up the post. I decided to have a list of that kind ready to read whenever I feel blue.