Thursday, February 3, 2011

Get Off Your Arse and Lose Weight


This book is completely different from all the books I ever read. It is written in a straight talking way and the none-sense free approach is an alleviation  to my frayed nerves. 
There are just too many people believing that one day a miracle will happen and all their issues in live will be solved at once.
So the big question is: why are we the way we are? When it comes to weight and health Steve Miller's answer is because we are lazy lard asses who are not eating what we should and who do not exercise as much as we should.
I really appreciated the way he tackles people who have an excuse for everything. Everybody knows one or more of these people who act that way. Here's a question to think about: can you stand them? Have you ever been inspired by one of these whiners?
Here are my top 5 excuses and I always have to focus on something else to stay the polite person I want to be:
  1. I am too busy to exercise - really? That's hard to believe the proper way to express what these people have in mind is "I'm too comfortable with everything and I really don't want to change that because I know that that could be tough. I also might be forced to admit that the way I lived was not a healthy one."
  2. I have this and that condition (fill in what ever organ you like) - okay that excludes you from a healthy lifestyle? I don't think so. I know people who are really sick and they are capable of maintaining a decent diet and recreational activities although they are challenged. So think again.
  3. Eating X once in a while is okay because I don't do it regularly. - Right but consider all the X's you can possibly think about.  Many people have way too many of them and altogether they consume at least one of the X candidates per day.
  4. First I have to solve ... (fill in whatever you want, the ones I like most are medical conditions, jobs, and other assignment) - The problem is that new things to be solved will bubble up as soon as you solved the existing one. That will prevent you from achieving your goals even before you started. If that's your favorite excuse, I'm really sorry for you.
  5. I rather enjoy food than eating salad all day. - I'm speechless. Yeah, go ahead, do whatever you want and leave me alone.
The saying I particularly like is: "If you do not perform in any part of your life as you want to, there is something you don't know yet."
Although the essentials of the book are not very new to me, the way it was written helped me to ban even the smallest excuses I have regarding my eating habits and exercises. I'll try some ideas from the book and combine them with other knowledge I recently gained.
Thank you Steve for broadening my view.

There will be no advice from me today. Enjoy life, as it is, if you like the way it is. If you enjoy excuses and nourishing new ones, feel free to do so but don't ask me to except them :)

Take Care
Christina