Monday, February 7, 2011

Key factors for success


As you might have guessed from the previous posts I'm really into motivation, nutrition, mental training, and coaching right now.
One possibility to get successful in a specific area is to find a model and to learn as much as possible from your model.  A while ago I googled something like "training methods Shaun White" because I wanted to figure out how he learned all the tricks etc. Unfortunately, there was not so much about training routines but I found a really inspiring interview. I guess it's a bit older but the amazing thing is that you can find so much wisdom in interviews if you read them carefully.
So here is a part of the article I want you to take a look at:

We don’t see you bail often, but you did manage to smack your head pretty nicely at the X-Games this year. How do you keep yourself out of the hospital?


A lot of it is just riding within your own limits. You try to push yourself, but if you step to something you’re not ready for... Something I learned when I was really young was to fully commit. When I was 8 or 9, I’d see so many kids who’d want to learn a backflip at the Mt. Hood Summer Camp in Oregon. And every single one would panic as soon as they got up in the air, stop rotating and land on their heads.


And that motivated you to smack your head too?


I just realized at that point that if they’d fully committed, they would have been way better off landing on their butts or their backs than upside down. Ever since then, I’ve never gone into a trick without fully committing to it.

The second I read this I knew why I ended up riding against an obstacle two years ago instead of over it. I wasn't committed enough to just do it but I was too interested to just watch the others. Fear bet excitement  and I ended up with some bruises. I'll try to take the obstacle this season and this time I'll make sure that I'm committed for two reasons: first I don't really like bruises and second I just don't like things to be unfinished. Let's get back to commitment in general.
During my time at the university I learned a lot about motivation and success factors both individual ones and those for enterprises. You also heard about commitment being on of the key factors but did this knowledge helped you to get better in anything? Chances are hight that it didn't.
I often searched and willingly accepted other excuses reasons for not hitting the highest score or for not achieving my goals.
When I started thinking about my commitments I figured out that in some areas e.g. nutrition and exercise I functioned on autopilot most of the time. Only when I was close to hit the limits I set myself I started to work out panically.
To be honest it never worked, I intended to finalize my shape last year but got carried away further than I wanted to. I just wasn't committed to my own goal.
Since really getting in shape has been a goal for years now (and I think it is a life long goal for most women) I committed myself to it and somehow everything starts to get easier now.
I'm longing for the summer season to show the results I got :).

Just try it for one tiny aspect of your life commit yourself to have a clean desk or a gorgeous kitchen. Accept that excuses are not allowed and make sure this is a top priority in your life (that even means to stand up earlier to take action).

Take care
Christina